Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sticks and Stones

Sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. Hogwash! What a crock of crap. I'd rather have a bone broken then my heart, my dreams, my ego, etc. by some insensitive sot feeling his need to exert his mouthhood on me. Words! I love them. To me words are precious and I value them as such. How often do we toss words about as though they were nothing. Let us not forget that words can so often make or break a situation, a person, a dream, an ego. One word spoken without thought to its import and impact on the person receiving it can alter a life to the better or hammer in the last nail in a coffin.

Harsh you might say. I say not harsh enough. We truely do not understand what an impact our words have on the ones around us. I feel very strongly (if you haven't already guessed) about using our language to build up and not tear down. Oh how I love to encourage people. To help push them to the next level. To see them walk one step closer to making a dream come true, even if it seems like the impossible dream.

I was once told that words are important to me. So important to me that I value them as money. I have to admit that this is true. I do value words. Words that I speak and words that are spoken to me. Words that heal and not kill; words that open up and not close; words that are filled with love and warmth and not hate and cold.

All that to say this. Why can't we be more in tune with what we speak. What we say is so powerful. I think we need to understand the power of our words and treat them with the same respect you would have when handling a loaded gun. We know what power is held within that gun when the trigger is pulled. Let's keep that same respect in mind when our tongues are loosed and off we go. And remember, sticks and stones can break your bones and names do hurt you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree with you Anna, I remember my mother quoting that saying to me as children made fun of my braces on my legs. It took a lot of ministry to get over those words.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Oh baby! This brings to mind one heck of a quote, "By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." --Winston Churchill

And one more if you don't mind ...
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." --Ambrose Bierce

I too share a great romance with words!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home